Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Homemade Almond Milk


As I am preparing my homemade granola post(which is going to be the next), I thought I should write about this wonderful health drink, perfect for summer!

Making your own almond milk is very much exciting. I didn't know how easy it is to make your own almond milk at home and so I used to buy one from the grocer just like most of us do! Honestly this is the simplest recipe ever and the taste..oh..nowhere close to what you get from the grocer. Simply delicious..no not the brand, that was my reaction after having first couple of sips..:)

All you have to do to make this delicious milk is to soak almonds overnight in some water. About 10-12 organic almonds and about 1 cup of water. To make it thick add less water and to make it watery add more.

Next morning put the almond into the blender after straining all the water from it. Add fresh water to it. If your blender is like mine, which grinds things better if they have less water content, don't add all the water right away. Just add all the soaked almonds and then add half of the water. Let the mixture get blended well and then add remaining water and blend nicely.

Use the cheesecloth to strain the mixture and you will get a nice snow white creamy almond milk! All the residue can be thrown or you can put it to good use as a facial scrub or even whole body scrub.

Recipe for the Homemade Almond Scrub-:
  • Almond residue
  • Jojoba oil
  • Lemon zest or orange zest
Mix all the 3 ingredients and apply on the face. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash. Or you can simply apply the scrub in shower and get the benefits of almond and the orange zest. Sorry I don't have the pic for the scrub. I will upload the pic when I will make the scrub again. The scrub should be good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in a glass container.

Enjoy sunny afternoon with a glass of homemade almond milk with couple of cubes of ice and without all the horrible additives that are in the store bought milk!!


5 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Loving this homemade vegan milk.

Rajeshwari said...

Hi Manali,

Nice recipe! I wonder if you could use the residue of ground almonds in "usal" or any rassa type gravy? I'm sure it still has some nutritional value.

Thanks for your recipes! :)

Rajeshwari said...

Nice recipe! I wonder if you could use the residue of ground almonds in "usal" or any rassa type gravy? I'm sure it still has some nutritional value.

Thanks for your recipes! :)

Unknown said...

Love the milk and the idea of the scrub as well.
Love Ash.

Manali said...

Thanks Priya and Ashwini.
@Rajeshwari- Certainly you can use the residue in any curry you want. If you want you can also add the almond fiber to your morning oat cereal or into a smoothie!

Thanks for liking my recipes!