Friday, January 23, 2009

Toasty Edamame!!!



Snacking is my favourite past time. I am always looking for something to munch on-- Pita chips with any kind of hummus, tostitos with salsa or simply a bag of potato chips or corn chips.......ummmmmm yummmmmmmm!!!!

Well who doesn't like all this options, packed and ready just waiting for you in the grocery store!!


If not for the health reasons, I would have never went out of the box and considered the little shelled edamame to be a part of my snacking ritual....:)

For those who don't know what the edamame and it's benefits are, ...well here they are...:)


It's basically known as a Soybean. One of the part that attracts me more is it's low sodium, fibre rich food. Besides having high protein content edamame also help:
  • Reduce risk of breast cancer in premenopausal women
  • Decrease the risk of osteoporosis.
  • Promote prostate health
  • Protect cells with their antioxidant properties.
WOW!!! who knew?? right??

It's interesting how much we underestimate (or simply forget?) about these wonderful products when we cross the aisle and stop to grab a pack of Ice cream instead.....,.........,...

Anyways...So Soybean or edamame for that matter is a legume and so this entry goes to an event My Legume Love Affair Seventh Helping hosted by Srivalli.

and here is the link to Susan's event page.



[MLLA7Logo.jpg]




Just when I was browsing through the blogs, I came across the recipe of roasted chickpeas. I wanted to try the same, that's when I remembered I have half a bag of cute little edamame in my freezer that I bought a week or two back to toss with my salad. My colleague in my previous company used to add this healthy kids in to her salad, and that's the reason I wanted to try those. Although I must admit I didn't really liked the raw and kind of bitter taste of edamame in to my salad.

With a due respect to it's nutritional value, I then decided to turn them in to a snack, just by roasting them in the oven with the spices of my choice.

Only 3 ingredients (excluding edamame) makes this a yummy fulfilling snack and a great substitute for unhealthy, guilty inducing potato chips.
  • I used Half a bag of frozen edamame;
  • Salt to taste;
  • Chili powder to taste.
  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
Wash the edamame under running cold water, and it will have the same effect as the defrostation. Take away the moisture from the edamame by spreading them on a paper towel.



In a bowl, mix edamame, salt, chili powder and the olive oil. Mix them well.



Line the cookie sheet with an aluminium foil and spread the edamame's on the sheet.



Preheat the oven to 375° F. Let the edamame's roast for 20 minutes.

It will have a crunch on cooling. Use it as an afternoon snack or simply toss with your salad as a great substitute for croutons.

Enjoy....:)




3 comments:

Trupti said...

what a lovely healthy snack

SINDHURA said...

Inviting u to participate in bread mania event in Bay leaf.Link-http://sindhura-bayleaf.blogspot.ocm

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry!..looks good