Nowadays, I get hungry all the time. I have to admit that I need something to munch on almost 24 hours a day. Just because, I am allowed to eat anything I want, I should not allow myself to indulge in unhealthy food. That's why I am always on a lookout for a healthy snack that I can prepare beforehand and then just save it for later.
Khajur Barfi is one of them. I am not a huge fan of khajur, so adding khajur to my daily diet wasn't really an easy task for me until I hit this recipe. This is really fun to make, with very less efforts and a big satisfaction of doing something good to yourself.
Khajur, as you all know, known as dates and has tons of nutritional value to it. Take a look at this and let me know if you can read the whole chart in one sitting. voooooooooffffff!!! I gave up!!
Benefits of this great fruit.
Photo Courtesy: http://theloft-sasha.blogspot.com/
In this recipe, I am not going to add any sugar, or milk or any fat. Dates themselves are very sweet in taste and that's what makes this recipe even healthier.
There are really only 3 ingredients in this barfi-:
- Khajur-(Dates)- pitted chopped roughly-2 cups
- Desi Ghee-(clarified butter)- about 3 tbsp
- cashews and almonds- chopped/sliced
Procedure is very simple.
- Heat the ghee in the pan, and add the chopped pitted dates to it.
- over low to medium flame, keep stirring constantly.
- Keep stirring until the dates are soften.
- Take a baking sheet, or a flat tray or a cutting board on which you can spread the dates.
- Spread the dates mixture and press it down.
- Sprinkle the chopped/ sliced almonds and cashews when the date mixture is hot.
- Press them down, so that they can stick to the dates. You can use a spatula or just any glass bowl to press them down.
- Wait until it cools down to handle, and then cut and make them in to rolls or any shape you like.
- You can store these lovely bite size rolls for about 15-20 days.