Ever heard of Hemp Seeds??
If you are looking for a quick dairy-free milk alternative, you are in a right place! I am always on a lookout for a dairy free milk options and I make almond milk almost every week. Unlike almond milk, hemp seeds doesn't need soaking before blending, making it a very convenient last minute snack option. Hemp milk is delicious smooth, rich, creamy and it tastes amazing in smoothies. It it an excellent alternative for people suffering with nut and dairy allergies.
Hemp seeds are excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, proteins and all the 10 essential amino acids along with potassium, calcium,phosphorous, magnesium, vitamin A and magnesium. Have I already sold it enough for you?
Wait.. there is more!
Hemp seeds have anti-inflammatory properties which helps to repair tissues especially after exercise. So carry a nice big jar of homemade hemp milk when you hit the gym or go for a run next time!
Hemp seeds are highly digestible by the body and they are known as immune booster.
Here is what you will need-:
- 1 cup raw shelled hemp seeds
- 3 cup of water
- 2-3 tbsp of maple syrup
- 3-4 strands of saffron
- 1tsp of alcohol free vanilla extract
This is a very basic recipe. You can alter this recipe any which way you like. After you try it for a couple of times, you will know what things you like mixing in it and what others you want to replace to make it to your own taste.
- Place the seeds and the water into the blender. Start blending at low speed and quickly move up to high speed for about a minute.
- Strain using a nut-milk bag which can be found at any health food store or online.
- Add your choice of sweetener. You can also add dates or honey instead of maple syrup. If adding dates you need to soak the pitted dates for 10 minutes and then add them while blending the milk in step 1. For maple syrup you can just mix it up after blending. Also add saffron and the vanilla extract.
- The milk can be stored in a glass jar for about 2 days.
- You can flavor your milk with cinnamon, cacao or a pinch of turmeric for flavor as well as beautiful color and some turmeric goodness.
- To make the milk more creamier, add 1-2 tbsp of coconut butter to it while blending. It tastes even more delicious this way!
- Try adding sunflower seed butter or almond butter while blending to make it more nuttier if you like. Personally I think hemp seeds have nutty taste and doesn't need any other strong flavors.
How about overnight oats mixed with homemade hemp milk for breakfast tomorrow?