I always have Lima Beans in my pantry. Sometimes I also use the frozen version.Whenever I am short on veggies, my first choice is this Lima beans curry. The flavors from the tomato, onion and coconut get married so well that it becomes very hard to eat right portions sometimes..:P
If you are using the raw Lima beans, make sure to soak them in water at least for 5-6 hours and then cook them as per the instructions below. If you are using the frozen, no need to soak them. I used frozen in this recipe.
The credit of this recipe goes to Madhura of Madhura's Recipes. She has a video of this recipe here. This is her website, which has lots of delicious recipes on it.
Thanks Madhura for sharing the recipes.
- Lima Beans- Frozen
- Shredded fresh coconut
- Green chillies
- Peanut Oil
- Cumin Seeds
- Garam Masala
- Red chilly powder
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice
- Cilantro for garnishing.
- In a grinder add grated coconut, green chilies and garlic. Blend together and keep aside.
- Heat Peanut oil into a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, as they splutter, add a pinch of asafoetida.
- Then add chopped onions and let them turn pinkish brown, then add the coconut paste, from the grinder.
- Add turmeric powder
- After sauteing for about 2-3 minutes add coriander and cumin powder. Keep mixing everything well.
- Time to add chopped tomatoes, keep mixing until oil starts to separate.
- Add the beans and mix well.
- Add water depending on your need.
- Add chilly powder and garam masala powder as per your taste.
- Finally add salt and mix everything well.
- Put the lid on the pressure cooker and make 2 whistles so the beans get cooked well.
- Let the pressure go down by itself.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top and sprinkle chopped cilantro. Serve with your favorite kind of bread or rice.
The Lima beans curry is headed to Zesty Palette's Love Lock Series- Legumes and Sweet Karam Kapi. Also to Healthy Diet - Vegetarian Side Dishes and to Priya's Healthy and tasty recipes.