Friday, June 12, 2009

Crunchy garbanzo beans!!!



Some time back I posted toasty edemame. Since then I wanted to try garbanzo beans the same way.  When I googled for the same, I found a whole lot of results for my search.
I decided to go by my own instead.

This post is an entry to one of my favorite blog events My legume love affair.
This time the event my legume love affair-twelfth helping is hosted by Annarasa. Here is the lovely badge created by Susan for MLLA-12th helping. This is the second time I am participating in the event.



Making this simple yet crunchy snack is very easy. There is hardly any recipe to follow. All you need to take care about is the temperature of the oven and how long you keep the beans inside the oven.

I started with soaking garbanzo beans in water overnight.



The next morning I pressure cooked the beans with 3 whistles. Added a little bit of oil while cooking the beans to prevent the vent from becoming clogged.



Alternatively these beans can be cooked in a pan, with beans and water as 1:3. When the water comes to bubble, lower the heat and simmer partially covered for half an hour.
You can take a look at the detailed precedure here.

After cooking the beans, I drained them over the colander and dried them with the paper towel.

In a bowl I added following spices for seasoning.

  • Salt
  • Chili powder
  • Cumin powder
  • Olive oil.
I used everything above as per taste.

In a bowl, toss all the above spices with the garbanzo beans. Mix well and spread them on the baking sheet covered with aluminium foil in a single layer.



You can use any mixture of spices like curry powder, garlic salt, pepper powder, chili flakes, or any dried herbs you like. Adding the salt and olive oil while baking  with freshly squeezed lemon juice and a pinch of chaat masala, will do wonders.
If you have used any other combination of spices for the same recipe, I would love to hear from you. Please leave your creative inputs as comments in this post.

Preheat the oven to 425F. In about 25 minutes, crunchy toasty garbanzo beans will be ready for snacking. Just give them a toss after 15 minutes in oven. If you want them to be really crunchy keep them in for a longer time, and if you wish you like them to be chewy, keep them for 20-25 minutes. You can always taste and decide.

This is a very healthy snack for anytime in a day.  Store them in a air-tight container. Garbanzo beans are the good source of fibre, Iron. For the nutritional information please visit www.whfoods.com

Enjoy these little babies with a wedge of lemon!!



2 comments:

Neha said...

Looks great!!! Quick question ..If i plan to make a multiple servings do i need to store them in fridge or at normal temperature? Does the moisture completely go away after you bake them ? How long will they last once made ?

Manali said...

Hi Urvashi,

I usually make them in a large batch which usually lasts me for about 10-12 days. If they become really crispy, that's the sign that they have lost all the moisture, but I like a nice bite along with the crunch in them so I don't make them too much crunchy. A little chewiness is what I prefer. You probably have to check them often to see how you like them.And yeah you don't have to store them in the fridge. They might become soggy in the fridge.Just store them in a dry place in an airtight container and they should last you for at least a week depending on how addicted you are to them...:)))
Hope it helps..:)
Manali.