What a perfect cloudy day for a hot bowl of split pea soup and a crusty piece of bread! I don't think I need anything more from life at this moment. Just finished reading a book called Practicing Mind by Thomas M. Sterner. Extraordinary book that talks about living in present moment and enjoy all the small and big joy that each moment brings to us. Decide your goal, keep the focus on it, but don't think that achieving the goal would be the only thing that make you happy, rather enjoy the process of reaching toward the goal while living in every moment on the path. A must read you all!
I always have great time updating and posting my recipes here on my space, but more than that I enjoy taking pictures and adding them to my post. Here is one of such pics.
|Here is how they look before jumping into pot!|
As promised yesterday (my FB followers would know) here is a post while we all await for the election results!
This is a kind of recipe that you can work on while you watch CNN/ MSNBC or any of your fav news channel today.
Here is what you will need-:
- 1/2 cup organic split peas( it would be great if you can soak them for a couple of hours. If you don't have time you can use them as is.)
- 2 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups of organic Baby kale
- 1/2 medium onion - chopped
- Garlic- 2-3 cloves
- Extra Virgin Olive oil- 1 tbsp
- All spice- 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf- 1
- Jalapeno- 1 cut into small pieces
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Paprika- 1-2 tsp
- Herbamare- to taste ( use it instead of salt. If you have never used it before, you should give it a try. It's a sea salt with a nice blend of organic herbs and vegetables)
- Vegetables of your choice- carrots, mushrooms, bok choy etc.
- Water as needed.
- In a large pan, put Extra virgin olive oil. After it gets heat up add chopped onion and saute it for a minute and then add the garlic and bay leaf.
- In a minute add turmeric and jalapeno. Then add veggies and saute for about a minute. Add washed soaked split peas. If you haven't soaked them already, take it into account that you might have to cook them longer than if you would have soaked them.
- Add vegetable broth and some water if needed. Bring everything to a boil, lower down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the peas get cooked.
- Add in the super food- baby kale and mix well. Also add all spice, herbamare to taste and some more water or vegetable broth if it is too thick for a soupy consistency.
- Give a nice mix and let everything come together for 2-3 more minutes.
- If you want you can use a hand blender to puree the soup. Pour a few ladles aside and then puree the remaining soup and mix both together to get a nice consistency. For me I love the heartiness of the soup and like it as is.
- Ladle into a bowl and serve with a crusty bread...YUMM!!!
While the discussion/ polls heat up, ladle yourself a nice hearty bowl of this soup and a bread to go along! Having said that let me go back to the news and hope for the best next 4 years ahead as last 4..:) Fingers crossed!!!