Raw mango is definitely not in season, but I found a really nice green raw mango at whole foods last week and couldn't resist myself from buying. On my way home I was thinking about delicious Kairichi dal( Raw mango with chana dal) that my mom used to make in summer. I am a big fan of raw mango, not the one we get here but the one that I used to eat back in India. Really tangy and tarty! Yum!!!
Without thinking twice, I came home and soaked chana dal and waited for four hours to get started.:)
- 1 cup of chana dal soaked minimum 4 hours.
- 1/2 cup of shredded raw mango
- 1 green chilli- chopped
- 1 dried red chili
- 3 tbsp of shredded fresh coconut
- Few springs of cilantro
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
For tadka/ tempering
- Oil-1/4th cup
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- A generous pinch of asafoetida
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Drain the soaked chana dal and pat it with a paper towel to get rid of most of the moisture.
- In a blender, add the chana dal, green chilli, salt sugar and blend well.
- Add the shredded raw mango to the chana dal mixture and keep aside.
- Tadka/ tempering- In a kadai add oil, when heated add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric and curry leaves and dried red chilli. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the tadaka over the chana dal mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro and shredded fresh coconut over the dal and serve.
- Since the dal is raw make sure you add a generous pinch of asafoetida to make the dish easy on your stomach. Also make sure to keep the portion right (light)..:)
- Also I have noticed that the raw mangoes you get here are not much sour in taste. So if you think, that you need the dal to be more on the sour side, please increase the quantity of raw mango.